Monday, February 6, 2012

Young, in Love and Sharing Everything, Including a Password

In the article Young, in Love and Sharing Everything, Including a Password by Matt Richtel it discusses how the new era of digital technology affects young couples. Technology has created a new trend seen mainly amongst teenagers, ,where teen couples share each others passwords to one anothers personal accounts. The account passwords teen share include e-mail, Facebook and other social networking sites. Sharing passwords can sometimes lead to rather difficult situations. For example, the article describes how an fallout in teen's relationships can lead to damage of someone's reputation. In addition Ritchel connects the sharing of passwords to teenagers way of being affectionate. According to Rosalind Wiseman, who studies how teenagers use technology "the sharing of passwords, and the pressure to do so, was somewhat similar to sex." The sharing of passwords shows trust within a relationship a vital key to a successful relationship. Later in the article it discusses how there are also other reasons to swap passwords. The reason being to eliminate distractions from other important things needed to be done, like studying for an exam. Without access to an account of some sort there wouldn't be unnessary distractions from the media.

Richtel uses logos when he uses supporting evidence in his article. The evidence is a persuasive reasoning to back up his claims that teenagers use swaping passwords as a technique to show affection. In addition, Richtel uses structural similarity throughout his article, tieing teenage use of media to teenage relationships.

In my opinion I agree with Richtel, more so with the issue of teenagers swaping passwords to show trust in their realtionship. Being able to give your personal password to personal accounts exhibit how teenagers have nothing to hide from each other. Richtel's article also evokes thoughts about the new era's media affect on teenagers and how it starts to take over and plays a major part in teenagers personal lives.

9 comments:

  1. This is interesting. I totally disagree! I would never give my boyfriend my password to any of my personal things like my facebook account or email! If he don't trust me then oh well! lol I'm not sure if that's just me but... I can however understand how some teens feel like it is a matter of trust. O by the way Alesia i like your background! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Briana more than Alesia, because giving your password to your special someone does not prove that you guys trust each other. It says that it's okay for each person to look through another person's stuff. Trust needs to be showed in a different way instead of sharing passwords.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can kind of see where Alesia is coming from but on the other hand I would firmly agree with Bri and Kiarra also. As much as I would trust somebody, some people would actually turn behind your back when something triggers and might post something negative about you. So no I would not really agree with sharing any personal info with my partner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One question? So basically the article was saying that sharing passwords with one's love ones shows trust or that its ok? Well I agree and disagree with this article and alesia and briana and kiara. I agree and disagree because like Alesia mentioned it shows that there is nothing to hide but then at the same time one should be trusted that one is not doing inappropriate stuff on whatever has a password.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to agree that sharing passwords steps over personal boundaries that should be kept in a relationship, but for the sake of argument: we've been talking about how media creates a more "feelingless" and disconnected world--is this a case where it actually brings us closer together?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I'm going to play the devil's advocate..If a guy, or girl, is in a relationship and is willing to share his/her password with their significant other that shows he/she is willing to commit to therelationship. Just because he/she shares his/her password doesn't necessarily mean his/her partner has to constantly check the others stuff. I see it as a polite gesture that he/she wants the relationship to work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way you two! I think it is ultimately ridiculous to share your password at this point in a realtionship. If you are married the situation is differnent but as dating teenagers it just causes Unnecessary conflict. Yes you may wonder if they are "flirting" with another girl but at least you are not in all of their personal business. A thing such as a facebook password does not make or break you.Like Kiarra said it does not establish trust but rather saying you dont trust them because you need their password to make sure they are not doing things they should not do. It is breaking the relationship! Dont share your password!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah. I still don't understand the underlying point of sharing passwords when it almost always leads to disaster. I think people (specifically teens) who are "in love" don't want to seriously think about what they are doing, and how dangerous it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree and disagree with the article. Like Montana said, I think there is a difference between whether you are married or just dating. I feel that you can give your passwords to your spouse. I think that it is nothing to worry about. I feel like when you are married you have to share everything and passwords are just one of many. It doesn't mean anything. It doesn't show trust. Its... just there.

    ReplyDelete